CareBanks Build and Strengthen Local Communities By Catalyzing & Supporting Community Based Collaboration To Support Seniors
CareBanks help bridge the rapidly growing gap between seniors’ support needs as they age-in-community’ & limited Local, State, Federal support for senior social service programs
The CareBanks initiative builds on Time Banks Institute’s 25+ years experience creating ‘social capital’ using local currency called ‘Time Dollars’ ( called ‘TimeCredits’ in the UK ) to help build & strengthen local communities in 40 States and 34 Countries overseas. See Twitter #timebanking
CareBanks use local generated currencies to provide such elder support services as:
- Respite for stressed family caregivers
- Visiting elderly to minimize social isolation
- Reminding to take prescribed medications as prescribed
- Transportation to doctor & pharmacy
- Transportation to grocery
- Transportation to community based social activities
- Help with light home maintenance, cleaning, etc.
- Examples of services sought/offered by a NYC Carebank listed here
- CareBanks Promote & Increase
- Informal services that traditional circle of giving & receiving provide a community
- Sustainable, trusted ways for seniors to contribute to their own care & welfare of their communities through senior’s own volunteer efforts
CareBanks is a project of the TimeBanks Institute, a 501-(c)(3) non profit organization based in Washington, DC.